Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 2 in Brazil-- Rice and Beans YUM!


September 9, 2013
Dear Family,
All mail (that is not emailed) should go to the mission home and I’ll get it during our district meetings or whenever.
Good week. I’ve never had such good food in my life.  They like to keep it simple here--rice beans, a meat, and sometimes a salad. (A salad consists mostly of shredded lettuce with olive oil and salt all over it...good and healthy sort of).  I seriously eat to my full capacity every day.  There is really only one meal in Brazil called Almoço or lunch in English, so I have to eat 24 hours’ worth of food in like 30 minutes.  Don’t worry I don’t think I’ll gain too much weight because we walk like crazy everywhere we go. Belo Horizonte has the craziest steep hills I’ve ever seen.  There are seriously places where I have no idea how they got the concrete to stick to the side of mountain.  I’m building some pretty nice calves and quads because of it!  Our area is huge.  I’m not sure ofcthe square mileage, but we are located right in the middle, and it took us 35 minutes on a bus to get to the bishop’s house on Saturday.  The whole area is just houses too.  I have no idea how we are going to cover everything!!  But it also means that we have plenty of people to find and teach.
Cool experience at church this Sunday.  In Sunday school the teacher asked how many of the people there had been born into the church.  I was the only one!  In a class of about 20 people, 19 had been baptized by missionaries.  I thought it was pretty cool and got kind of pumped up to do work after that.  I love church because it’s the only place where people like to speak English with me. It’s nice every once in a while not to be the one who has to use all of their brain power to understand a conversation. 
We met a family last week who is interested in the church.  The cool thing about almost everyone here is they have faith in Jesus Christ and are willing to hear from us.  They have a son who has come to church 3 times now and is reading the Book of Mormon.  I think it’s just a matter of time before he finds out that it’s true. People are so open to listening to the gospel that we have awesome spiritual experiences everyday helping people gain more of a testimony of Christ.  I love being here. 
Congratulations Anna for scoring a goal in field hockey!! That’s so sick! 
I love you,

Elder Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment